All enrollment to Temecula Preparatory School is filled through a lottery application and lottery pull process, per our charter. The first step to possible enrollment is to submit a lottery application.
- Each year in June, a new lottery application is posted on our website so that parents may apply to the lottery for their child for the next school year. The application remains open until March 31st, unless March 31st falls on a weekend, in which case the deadline is April 1st.
- We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-21 school year. The deadline to apply is clearly posted on the “Apply” page and our application.
- TPS applications must be received online. Paper applications are not accepted. We are happy to assist you in the TPS office if you need assistance submitting an application.
- Always read the application procedures carefully before submitting the application.
- Applications do not roll over from one year to the next.
- Applications are not kept on file. If your child is not school age, outlined below, you should not apply. Your application will be removed.
SCHOOL ENTRY AGE REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- If your child is 4 years of age and will turn 5 years of age between September 2 and December 2, you can apply for Transitional Kindergarten (TK).
- All kindergarten applicants must be age 5 on or before September 1 of the school year in which the child seeks enrollment.
- All first grade applicants must be at least 6 years of age by September 1 of the school year in which the child seeks enrollment in first grade.
LOTTERY PULL: If more students apply for an upcoming school year than there are spaces available, a random, public lottery drawing will be used to create a waiting list. This has always been the case for TPS as we average between approximately 1,500 to 1,800 applications yearly. Each April (typically the last week), the random, public lottery drawing is held and all applications received for the upcoming school year are pulled by grade level and category. As per Education Code 47605, enrollment priorities for TPS are as follows:
Category 1: Currently enrolled TPS students. Currently enrolled TPS students do not need to submit a new lottery application from year to year. Category 1 students are automatically enrolled in the upcoming school year and are not pulled in the lottery.
Category 2: Children of the charter school’s permanent staff.
Category 3: Siblings of currently enrolled TPS students.
Category 4: Temecula Valley Unified School District residents. If you would like to check to see if your address is within TVUSD boundaries, please click here to go to TVUSD’s “Locate Your Home School” feature.
Category 5: All other applicants.
ABOUT THE CATEGORIES: The two categories that make up the majority of the applications received are Category 4 and Category 5. The other categories make up a very small percentage of the applications received. For lottery purposes, the first group to be pulled will be from Category 2, Category 3, Category 4, and Category 5.
ABOUT THE GRADE-LEVELS:
TPS has a TK through 12th grade program. We currently have one TK class, three K through 6th grade classes, and approximately 90 students per grade-level in grades 7-12.
AFTER THE LOTTERY PULL: Once the waiting lists have been established (through the random lottery drawing), enrollment is offered based on availability. This process typically begins in early May. Spots become available when a student leaves TPS at the end of the school year or during the school year. If that occurs, the first person on the waiting list for the grade level where the vacancy has occurred will be offered the spot. If that applicant declines the spot or does not respond to the offer, the next person on the waiting list is contacted. This process continues until the spot is filled. Deadlines to reply and accept an offer are given with each offer of enrollment.
NOTE: Students who become enrolled at TPS do not have to submit a lottery application for the upcoming school year. Currently enrolled students automatically roll into the next grade-level.
APPLY FOR THE TEMECULA PREPARATORY SCHOOL LOTTERY
The 2020-21 lottery application is no longer available. The 2021-22 lottery application will be available in June 2020.
Temecula Preparatory School does not discriminate and acknowledges its obligation to offer eligible students a free appropriate public education (“FAPE”) in the least restrictive environment (“LRE”) in compliance with state and federal laws. Before your child is enrolled in Temecula Preparatory School, you are not required to disclose to us whether your child has a disability or provide a copy of his/her IEP or Section 504 plan to our school. However, soon after your child is enrolled in our school, we will ask for this information to ensure your child is offered a FAPE in the LRE. So, we recommend that parents be ready to provide us with a copy of a student’s last agreed upon and implemented IEP as soon as they are notified their child has been enrolled in Temecula Preparatory School.